A natural consequence of aging is the loss of volume in key areas of the face. This occurs because the body produces less collagen and elastin, which provide structure and flexibility to the skin. Lifestyle habits such as weight gain and loss, smoking, and too much sun exposure also take a toll. Our genetics can intensify the process.
Dermal fillers are an excellent solution for treating loss of volume in the face. Fillers contain hyaluronic acid, a substance the body produces naturally. Hyaluronic acid hydrates and plumps the skin, fills in lines and creases, and minimizes the signs of aging. Injectable fillers help replenish the hyaluronic acid our bodies may have lost over time.
Why are there so many different fillers?
Fillers are designed to target specific areas of the face such as the cheeks, under the eyes, chin, jawline, nasolabial folds, lips, and deep wrinkles. The formulations differ depending on area of use. Fillers help create a more youthful appearance in patients that have wrinkles, hollow cheeks, a weak jawline, and thinning lips.
Dr. Keusch recommends Juvederm® fillers.
Dr. Cristina Keusch recommends the Juvederm® family of fillers by Alle, one of the most popular fillers in the U.S. Depending on the patient’s aesthetic goals, Dr. Keusch will advise on the right Juvederm® product.
- Juvederm® XC – This filler is excellent for smoothing out deep wrinkles and folds. It works well in the nasolabial folds, those creases extending from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth. It’s commonly used to treat marionette lines, the vertical lines that run between the mouth and the chin. These lines often cause the mouth to appear sad.
- Juvederm® Voluma® – This product adds volume to the cheeks and underneath the eyes. Fuller, rounder cheeks give an appearance of youthfulness.
- Juvederm® Volbella® – This filler plumps thinning lips and treats the wrinkles that occur around the mouth from years of smoking.
- Juvederm® Vollure® – Patients wanting to target severe wrinkles and facial folds should use this filler.
- Juvederm® Volux™ – The newest filler in the Juvederm® line is used to treat severe loss of jawline definition and eliminate jowls.
Many filler treatments take less than 30 minutes. The injection site can be treated with a numbing gel to make the procedure more comfortable. Patients will see immediate results.
Is it time for a refresh?
If it’s been a year or more since your last dermal filler treatment, it may be time for a refresh. Dermal fillers are temporary, and their effects wear off over time. How long fillers last depends on the specific type and what it was used to treat. Signs that it may be time to schedule an appointment include:
- Lines and wrinkles starting to reappear
- Areas that were previously plump look deflated
- You are using makeup differently to achieve desired look